coming to you before i either freeze or get lost in the snow, i figured i would share some food with you since no one is going anywhere tomorrow. plus, its been a long time since i posted about food or it feels like it anyway.
so i have to admit, i was going to make this recipe last week but that didnt happen. and thank goodness my butternut squash lasted for a week. another thing i have to admit, this was my first time cooking with a butternut squash…i was a little embarrassed because i had to youtube how to peel and cut it. WHATEVER, its fine, its fine.
anyways, i figured since its so freakin cold here, i would make something warm and in the crockpot. i ended up making risotto with butternut squash. nothing like having your whole house smell like shallots for the whole afternoon.
here is what youll need:
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine ( i used pinot grigio)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (i used chicken)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked short grain brown rice
- toppings: we did feta with parsley and italian seasoning blend with parmesan cheese. the recipe originally called for goat cheese and sage butttt i cannot stand goat so i made up the other combos. you really can add whatever you want, whatever you think will taste good together. i didnt measure my cheese or my spices, i kind of just kept adding until it tasted good 🙂
first, cut up the shallots, garlic and butternut squash. once that is done, add oil to a saucepan, add shallots and sauté over low to medium heat until the shallots are soft and translucent. i would say this takes about seven minutes, then add your garlic, salt and pepper. i just coated the shallots and garlic with a good layer of salt and pepper, you can always add more. make sure to sauté the garlic for a two to three minutes because you dont want it to burn. lastly, add the wine and cook for two minutes.
no, i didnt drink any wine…it was only 11 in the morning when i started this and i realized it might not go so well with my coffee.
next, take your onion and garlic mixture and add it to your crock pot. i used my bigger crock pot, im not sure the size but its a big one lol. then add your cut up butternut squash, uncooked rice and broth and cook!
i cooked mine on low for six hours but you could cook on high for three hours. **i did have to add a about 1/4 cup more broth at the end because it was starting to get a little dry, i added this in about an hour before it was finished**
and there you have it!!
risotto with butternut squash. like i said before, this is just a base. you can get creative here! you can add whatever you think is going to taste yummy. remember to have fun, dont just stick to boring salt and pepper. i fixed mine up with feta with parsley and nick did italian seasoning blend with parmesan cheese.
well its been nice knowing all of you, i will be buried in snow for the next week!
have a good week my friends!!!